Bijapur (Vijayapura) and the Gol Gumbaz

Bijapur, population 454,000, was established on the ancient urban site of Bijjanhalli around 1074.

Formerly called Vijayapura, it was the city of victory for the Chalukyas. The city then became the capital of the Yadava dynasty during the 12th and 13th centuries. The austere elegance of these monuments contrasts with the exuberance of the Chalukya and Hoysala temples further south. In recognition of its greatness, this city was also one of the five satellite states that emerged from the collapse of the Muslim Bahmani kingdom of Bidar in 1482. After India's declaration of independence in 1947, the region became part of the state of Bombay, before being reassigned to the territory of Mysore. In 1956, Bijapur finally became part of Karnataka.

Gol Gumbaz is the most famous monument in Vijayapura. It is the tomb of Mohammed Adil Shah (ruled 1627–1657). It is the second largest dome ever built, next in size only to St Peter’s Basilica in Rome. A particular attraction in this monument is the central chamber, where every sound is echoed seven times. Another attraction at the Gol Gumbaz is the Whispering Gallery, where even minute sounds can be hear clearly 37 metres away